- The total number of derivative contracts traded that not yet been liquidated either by an offsetting derivative transaction or by delivery. Related: liquidation
* * *open interest ˌopen ˈinterest noun [uncountable]FINANCE in futures (= buying a quantity of something for delivery at a fixed date in the future), the number of contracts that are active and have not been cancelled out by contracts in the other direction:
• Open interest in platinum contracts is now fluctuating at record levels.
* * *A figure for the number of outstanding contracts on a futures contract which are not offset by an opposing futures transaction or fulfilled by delivery. In most cases, the open interest is measured on a daily basis. The figure reflects the degree of liquidity in that contract.► See also Futures.
* * *open interest UK US noun [U]► (also open contracts [plural], open commitments [plural]) FINANCE the total number of futures contracts (= agreements to sell shares, etc. on a particular date in the future) or options contracts (= agreements to buy shares, etc. on a particular date in the future) that have not been finished or cancelled: »
At the beginning of the year, open interest totaled only 148,000 contracts.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Open interest — (also known as open contracts or open commitments) refers to the total number of derivative contracts, like futures and options, that have not been settled in the immediately previous time period for a specific underlying security. A large open… … Wikipedia
Open interest — bezeichnet die Summe aller offenen Positionen in einem Termin oder Optionskontrakt. Open interest steigt bei jeder Börsentransaktion, welche sowohl beim Käufer als auch beim Verkäufer eine neue offene Position erzeugt, um eins (A kauft erstmals… … Deutsch Wikipedia
open interest — The total number of futures or options contracts of a given commodity that have not yet been offset by an opposite futures or option transaction nor fulfilled by delivery of the commodity or option exercise. Each open transaction has a buyer and… … Financial and business terms
Open Interest — 1. The total number of options and/or futures contracts that are not closed or delivered on a particular day. 2. The number of buy market orders before the stock market opens. 1. A common misconception is that open interest is the same thing as… … Investment dictionary
open interest — The number of outstanding futures contracts. ► “Trading volume and open interest in options and futures contracts on stock indices, equities, and interest rate instruments traded on world exchanges have experienced remarkable growth.” (New… … American business jargon
OPEN INTEREST — Фьючерсные контракты, которые еще не оплачены. Open interest равен общему числу длинных или коротких позиций, но не их комбинации … Малая энциклопедия трейдера: глоссарий к книге
open interest — Numero totale di contratti futures, aventi come sottostante un determinato titolo o una determinato bene, attualmente in essere. Ciò significa che nel calcolo dell open interest non si tiene conto dei contratti già liquidati o di quelli chiusi… … Glossario di economia e finanza
open interest — noun The number of contracts outstanding between market participants in a futures market or other derivatives market … Wiktionary
open interest — Fin options that have not yet been closed … The ultimate business dictionary
open interest — noun : the total in physical units of outstanding long and short futures contracts on a commodity exchange … Useful english dictionary